In 1981 serious erosion of the old Sinclair landfill and pollution of the river was discovered. This problem was placed on the “Superfund” list and given a high priority nationwide because of the threat to the water supply. New York State DEC, using funds supplied by ARCO, successor to Sinclair Refining Co. built a new intake, pump station and transmission line upstream of the refinery site. This intake was turned over to the Village in 1988.
Construction began in June 1989 for the new treatment plant and it went in to service June 1990. This plant has a 500,000 gallon clearwell. We have plenty of room for growth as we are currently operating 80 hours per week.
The steel reservoir was removed from service and demolished because of structural damage in the fall of 1997. The following three pictures show the demolition.
Old Open Reservoir Demolition 1916 – 2001
Construction of two Natgun reservoirs 04/01/01
Two 2 million gallon reservoirs are now under construction by Natgun Corporation
10/02/01 – The last coat of paint has been applied. The access ladder, safety rails, top hatch and dome vent have been installed. NATGUN is done with the construction of #2 tank.
Landscaping around new Natgun reservoirs
West State Street Bridge Demolition
The old state street bridge was demolished to make way for a new one. 05/15/01
Building the new W. State St. Bridge 06/03/02
The ribbon has been cut and the new bridge is officially open after 364 days of being out of service.